Summer camps: Day camp or overnight camp… That is the question! Though summer may seem far away, parents are already starting to think about what activities will occupy their children’s time over the summer break. This can prove to be a challenge at times because while you’re looking forward to them continuing their growth and development, they are simply looking forward to a break where they can relax and have fun with their friends. We see this dilemma all the time in our French summer camps! Why not make the most of their summer with a healthy balance of both? Summer camps offer the perfect opportunity for children to have fun building new, meaningful relationships while continuing to develop new and existing skills! (They also give you as the parent some well-deserved “me time”!) So you’ve decided summer camp is for your child! Now the decision is whether day camp or overnight camp is right for them. Many parents like to involve their children in the selection process to help strengthen their self-advocacy and independence, but ultimately the final decision is up to you and whether you feel your child is ready to spend a week away from home, and whether you’re ready to let them.
Summer Day CampsMany parents, particularly of younger children, prefer summer day camps. Summer day camps are often focused on arts, sports, or education, all of which will stimulate and engage your children throughout the summer. Each day camp presents different benefits for your children – they are an effective way to boost your child’s self-esteem, make new friends, and dabble in various activities they may want to pursue in the future. Advantages of your child participating in our French summer day camps include:
- Developing and improving on skills during the summer
- Unplugging from technology while building their social skills through connecting with friends offline
- Remaining active through trying out new sports and fun activities
- Building a sense of independence while discovering their skills and passions
Summer Overnight CampsParticipating in overnight camp has become an increasingly popular summer activity for children and teens. Our French overnight camps offer an immersive experience, providing children the environment to foster their social and emotional growth while immersing themselves in an engaging and fun environment. Some families and children are often unsure about out French overnight camp and often ask themselves “Is my child old enough?”, “Are they ready to be away overnight?”, “Am I ready to let them go overnight!?” In the end, only you will know if your child is ready for French overnight camp. Along with building independence and giving your child a mini get-away, our French overnight camps have a lot of benefits, including:
- Growing resilience and self-confidence throughout the trip as your child encounters new experiences and overcomes homesickness
- Building meaningful friendships with other campers and benefiting from staff and CIT mentors
- Learning problem-solving skills by facing and overcoming unfamiliar challenges
- Gaining valuable conflict resolution skills by finding ways to get along with a variety personalities – a really important skill when you’re sharing a cabin for a week!
Which to choose?
French Day camp is for children who:
- Are 4 and older who are not ready for a full day away from their parents
- Have not attended summer camp before
- Are preparing to enter a French Immersion program
- Want to remain close to home
French Overnight camps are best for children who:
- Are between 8 and 14 years old
- Are comfortable being away from home for extended periods
- Want to explore their independence and learn how to overcome obstacles by themselves
- Are looking to elevate their French-speaking skills through a 24/7 immersion opportunity