Do you have your children at home on a rainy or snowy weekend? Are you looking for something interesting and unique to do with them? Or maybe you’re hosting a playdate with a few of your child’s friends and looking for activities?
How about trying one of our French Camp Crafts. These are tried and true crafts that we use at our French summer camp to the campers’ delight. These crafts are easy and very affordable to make. You will probably have all the material in your crafts box!
In this edition of French Camp Crafts for kids, we provide instructions to complete one of our oldest and most popular crafts for children aged 4 to 7. Just in time for Mardi Gras next week: How to Make a Mardi Gras Mask for kids.
We suggest pairing this one with a little play or a goofy sing-along once they have finished the craft. We recommend this one: Dansons La Salsa by Kidzup. You can hear and purchase it here: http://www.rhapsody.com/artist/kidzup-musique-pour-enfants/album/chansons-pour-bouger
Here are the lyrics:
Dansons la Salsa
Dansons, dansons, la salsa,
On fait des cercles avec les bras
|On balanca nos petites hanchas|
De gauche à droite Mais oui, voilà!
À gauche, à droite, à gauche, à droiteOn bouge les pieds et les jambas
Un pas arrière, un pas avant
Arrière, avant, arrière, avant
On dit bonjour à notre amiga
Tout en tournant sur soi
On tourne, on tourne, on tourne, on tourne
Give it a try and let us know how you and your gang enjoy it! We would love to hear your suggestions as well!
French Camp Crafts Materials for How to Make a Mardi Gras Mask:
- Cereal box and white paper or a pre-cut mask shape
- Elastic or string for attaching
- Foam pieces
- Glitter glue
- Anything else that you want to use to decorate your mask!
Steps For French Camp Crafts: How to Make a Mardi Gras Mask
1.If you do not have a pre-cut mask, you can cut out a mask from a cereal box. You would then trace this cardboard mask on a white paper and cut that as well.
2. Glue the paper on the cardboard. We add this step to solidify the final structure and decorating on the white paper is easier.
3.You will need to create two small holes, one on each side so that you can attach the elastic. The easiest way to do this is by using a hole punch!
4. Cut the length of elastic required to go around your head. Tie it on each side of the mask with a double knot.
5. Decorate the mask to your liking, using materials such as feathers, sparkles, foam pieces, ribbon, glitter glue or anything that you can think of, get CREATIVE!! Our kids at camp love the glitter glue and the feathers the most!
6. Now throw it on and start dancing!!!