Do you have your children at home on a rainy or snowy weekend? Are you looking for something interesting and unique to do with them? Or maybe you’re hosting a playdate with a few of your child’s friends and looking for activities?
How about trying one of our French Camp Crafts. These are tried and true crafts that we use at our French summer camp to our campers’ delight. These crafts are easy and very affordable to make. You will probably have all the material in your crafts box!
In this edition of French Camp Crafts for kids, we provide instructions to complete one of our new crafts from 2015 for children ages 7 and up: the How To Make Your Own Octopus. Encourage your child to make several octopuses, including different colors and sizes. She or he can then create a play with an octopus family or group of octopus friends for a make-believe play….the best kind!!
This craft was originally adapted from a Pinterest post to suit our needs.
French Camp Crafts Materials:
- 1 piece of colored cardstock
- 2 googly eyes
- Different colours of construction paper
- 1 piece of tissue paper
Steps For French Camp Crafts:
- Turn your cardstock so it is landscape. Cut 1/3 of the page off.
- Using the bigger piece, you will cut nine tentacles that go to almost half of the page.
- Take one of these strips and roll it on a marker or pencil, to curl the paper. Repeat with all 9 tentacles.
- Roll the cardstock into a cylinder, the tentacle on each side will overlap. You will glue these tentacles together.
- Scrunch the piece of tissue paper into a ball. Try to have a part that is a somewhat flat for the top of the head.
- Add some glue to the inside, near the top, of the octopus and place the ball of tissue paper inside. Make sure some of it is still sticking out of the octopus.
- Glue on the googly eyes or use marker to make eyes.
- Cut out a mouth from the construction paper and glue it to the octopus.
- You can decorate your octopus to your liking.
Encourage your child to make several octopuses, including different colours and sizes. She or he can then create a play with a family of octopus or a group of octopus friends for make-believe play….the best kind!!